What is Change Management?
Change management is a term used to refer to the preparation and support of your staff (from individuals to teams or entire departments) through organisational change. Usually, this involves a ‘change team’ who outline teams or individuals needs to take in order to do complete tasks or processes in a new or improved way. Change teams bring about organisational change through developing support, addressing resistance, and informing how to make a change. The resources invested in change management will vary based on how much disruption is required to change the process.
The biggest factor driving change in businesses today is globalisation. As technology becomes more and more present and advanced in our everyday lives the room for innovation in business increases. Social media is completely changing the shape of many companies marketing efforts today for example. Therefore, change management is a requirement to keep pace with these revolutionary business opportunities.
As simple as it sounds, major and rapid change throughout an organisation, especially on a large scale is extraordinarily difficult. An organisation’s structure, culture, processes and equipment often encourage resistance to change. This is particularly true when old methods were very effective in the past. But, this tendency to stick to what has always worked can be an organisation’s downfall.
Due to the surge of new technologies and consumers willingness to try new products, change is often motivated by innovations made outside of the organisation rather than internally. When a new development in technology occurs, it’s often the companies who can adapt fastest and apply it effectively to their processes first who create a competitive advantage often resulting in drastic profit gain/loss.
8-Step Process for Leading Change
This process for leading change management was cultivated by Dr. Kotter.
- Establish a Sense of Urgency
- Create the Guiding Coalition
- Develop a Vision and Strategy
- Communicate the Change Vision
- Empower Employees for Broad-Based Action
- Generate Short-Term Wins
- Consolidate Gains and Produce More Change
- Anchor New Approaches in the Culture
- Checklists are a proven solution to instilling change in a team, individual or organisation. Learn more about checklists from our YouTube Playlist.
- Case Study about how Medicom Innovation Partner handles deviations and change processes in practice while focusing on involvement and learning.
- Four problems that make management systems static.